We are Zahm House!
Welcome to the One and Only
Established in 1937, Zahm House is Notre Dame's twelfth oldest (n.b., twelve is a symbol of perfection and completion) and most prominent residence hall. The House's name honors Fr. John Augustine Zahm, C.S.C. (1851-1921), an influential administrator, author, explorer, and scientist, who helped to boost Notre Dame's academic caliber in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.
Zahm House is a constitutive yet distinctive Notre Dame residence hall that is both a House of formation and a House of brothers. It aims to embody the mission, identity, and ethos of the University, which is animated and guided by the charism and mission of the Congregation of Holy Cross, who founded and sponsors Notre Dame. As such, Zahm plays a significant role in the EDUCATION IN FAITH of its residents, which requires the development of the MIND, the cultivation of the HEART, the enkindling of a ZEAL for service, the encouragement of HOPE in the cross, and the uniting with others as FAMILY.
Zahm House is well known for its inclusive, welcoming, hospitable, and tight-knit brotherhood that is committed to faith, academic excellence, service, and charity. The House has an undisputed repuation as the most tight-knit residence hall on campus. Zahmbies don't take themselves too seriously and enjoy an identity, traditions, and a spirit that are inimitable. For their part, the staff helps to create the conditions for the possibility of all to thrive, which includes first and foremost cura personalis: "care for the entire person."
Raising the Banner
Every Thursday before a home football game, the men of Zahm raise the massive "Here Come the Irish" banner on Zahm's North Quad wall. This video shows the raising of Zahm's old banner, and is from the Fall of 2012.